Pages

Sunday, December 1, 2013

cookie calendar - day 1: double chocolate cookies

day 1: double chocolate cookies

I met Kat through a monthly baking challenge that she and my friend Stuart (@cakeyboi) started up earlier this year, Treat Petite. I've taken part in a couple of these challenges already and they are lots of fun!

Kat is an awesome baker so I'm very excited to kick off this year's Cookie Advent Calendar with her Double Chocolate Cookies.

Double chocolate! Yes, that bears repeating.

I can definitely see why Kat gets a lot of requests for these cookies. They are thick and chucky and the recipe looks very easy...so let's get baking!


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
guest post by Kat from The Baking Explorer

Hi everyone, my name is Kat and I run a blog called The Baking Explorer. I wanted to share this Double Chocolate Cookie recipe because it is such a big hit with my friends, family, boyfriend, colleagues...basically everyone who tries them! I've made them countless times, they are great for gifts or for bribing your partner with! The dough and baked cookies can be frozen so you can have a constant supply if you wish! I hope you enjoy this recipe and please check out my other recipes on my blog, and connect with me via Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.


double chocolate cookies

I rarely make things twice but this recipe is so easy and the cookies are SO tasty it's worth trying again. First you melt 150g dark chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of shallow water.

In a bowl mix together 175g light brown sugar and 75g butter.

Add one egg and 1 tsp. vanilla extract and mix well.

Add 100g self raising flour and 25g cocoa powder to the mixture and fold in.

Then add the melted dark chocolate and mix well. This can be a bit tricky as the glass bowl is hot, so be careful, I dropped the entire bowl into the cookie mixture first time I made these, but it all turned out ok!

Finally add your chocolate chips. I used white chocolate chips. You can also add nuts, I didn't use any this time as I knew my friend's son might eat them, but last time I made these I added chopped almonds. You could also try macadamia nuts, or walnuts. Cover the bowl and chill the mixture for 30 minutes in the fridge.


Roll out into balls and flatten down with your hands. About 6 fit on a baking tray, lined with baking paper. The cookies will expand and grow as they bake, so leave space in between them. About an inch is enough. Bake for 12 minutes on 180C/350F/Gas 4. I find 12 minutes produces perfect cookies for me, it will depend on your oven, and how crisp or soft you like them, but I recommend this timing.

Leave them on the tray for a few minutes, then move to a cooling rack

They are really good warm so dig in! The great thing about this recipe is it's so flexible. You can use other kinds of chocolate in the dough, add your choice of nuts or even dried fruit. You could also try M&Ms or Smarties! Decide what you like and make it work for you!


The recipe and all photos used in this blog post belong to Kat / The Baking Explorer and should not be reprinted without her express permission.

5 comments:

  1. Yum yum! Oooooh this cookie advent calendar is off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing. Such a great start to the advent calendar, cant wait to see the rest of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a high benchmark for the rest of the calendar to hit! These look so good, almost like a brownie cookie =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fabulous, double chocolate is definitely a huge hit in our house! A great way to start the calendar, looking forward to lots more x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for a leaving comment - I love hearing from my readers!