Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

impromptu wing sauce taste test

Today just happens to be Super Bowl Sunday, and although I'm not a football fan, this post is definitely a timely one (especially if you plan on having chicken wings at your Super Bowl party!).


Last night Paul and I headed to his parents house to fry up some chicken wings and watch the hockey game on TV. As I was packing up the wings and fries, I asked Paul which wing sauce to bring with us and he said he wasn't sure. So of course, I get the crazy idea to bring them all and have an impromptu taste-testing session.


It didn't take much to convince Paul and his dad to join in on the taste test (actually, it didn't take any convincing at all) so I opened up the four different wing sauces while Paul started deep-frying 106 wings!

The four that we tried were (from left to right):


1. Original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wing Sauce - Medium Recipe
2. Duff's Famous Wings Hot Sauce
3. Huy Fung Foods Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce
4. Frank's Red Hot Wings Buffalo Sauce

Since Paul's mom and I both aren't big fans of HOT sauces, I cut all the sauces with some butter, which reduces the heat (I use approximately 2 teaspoons of melted butter per 1/3 cup of sauce).


After several batches of wings had come out of the deep-fryer and we had a chance to try all the sauces, the unanimous favourite was definitely Duff's. It was the sweetest of the four, with the most flavour and the perfect amount of heat.

My personal favourite was Duff's, while the one I liked the least was Anchor Bar's (I found it the least flavourful and a bit too vinegary).

The most watery sauce was Anchor Bar and the thickest was the Sriracha (although that wasn't a big surprise).


By the time we were done, I was STUFFED. I love chicken wings as much as the next gal, but at the end of the night, I was definitely ready for some salad - haha!

I know there are tons of other great wing sauces out there, so next time, Duff's will just have to go up against three new competitors! I'm sure Paul will be up for it!

What about you? What's your favourite hot sauce for chicken wings? Maybe I'll take some of your recommendations and make it part of our next Hot Sauce Taste Test!

3 comments:

  1. I suddenly have the urge for fried chicken wings and spicy dip! Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love honey garlic sauce on mine. Isn't sriracha a bit too hot for wings? I guess I'm not a big spicy fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ilan! The sriracha isn't that hot - I cut it with butter (we actually cut all the sauces with butter) - that keeps a lot of the flavour, but takes the edge off the heat. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for a leaving comment - I love hearing from my readers!